Iran beat 10-man Wales to keep World Cup qualification hopes alive


Two late goals gave Iran a sensational 2-0 win against Wales to keep alive their hopes of qualifying for the knockout stages of the World Cup.

Rouzbeh Cheshmi struck from distance to brilliantly give Iran the lead in the 98th minute, while Ramin Rezaeian sealed the win in the 101st minute to give Iran their first points of the tournament.

Both goals came after Wales goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey was sent off in the second half for a reckless challenge outside his area, becoming the first player at the tournament to receive a red card.

Iran created more chances and deservedly won in a tense match as both teams needed a win to boost their chances of progressing from Group B.

Iran players stand for the national anthem before the match against Wales.

Iran’s players joined in singing the national anthem before the match, while boos could be heard from the Ahmed bin Ali Stadium in Qatar.

During the playing of the national anthems ahead of Iran’s opening game against England on Monday, Iranian players remained silent in what was widely interpreted as a show of solidarity with those protesting at home.

Iran enters this World Cup in the shadow of domestic unrest, with the match coming a day after UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said the country was in a “full-blown human rights crisis”. how the authorities crack down on anti-regime dissidents.

Protests, described by experts as the most significant since the establishment of a clerical government following Iran’s 1979 revolution, and violence have rocked Iran in recent months, threatening the very nature of the country’s regime, which has been in power for more than 40 years.

It was sparked by the death of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old woman who died after being detained by Iran’s morality police, allegedly for not following the country’s conservative dress code. Iranian security forces unleashed a violent response.

Hennessey received a red card - the first of Qatar 2022.

After a heavy 6-2 defeat by England, Iran played much better in their second game.

The score was goalless at the break after a nervous opening 45 minutes on a steamy day in Al Rayyan. Wales striker Kieffer Moore had the best chance of the half when he headed wide from a free on goal.

Although Ali Gholizadeh thought he had given Iran the lead, the goal was ruled out for offside by the video assistant referee (VAR).

Iran star Sardar Azmoun hit the post twice early in the second half as Iran set the pace and Wales rode the luck and it looked like the two teams would share a point each before Cheshmi opened the scoring – sending the Iranian fans into celebration and silence. Welsh contingent.

Leave a Comment